Archive for June, 2010
It’s a beautiful sunny day today. But being British, one of my first thoughts was ‘I bet it wont last to the weekend’, which is stupid, because though I am good at a number of things, weather forcasting is definitely not one of them.
So I have decided I am not going to be a cynic. Here are some of the things I find people around me comment on, which I am going to choose to take a different view
- a lovely day today doesn’t mean a miserable day tomorrow.
- not all politicians are self serving
- not all garages are trying to rip me off
- not all bankers are greedy
- not everything will break the day after the warranty expires
- not all teachers are lazy
Google found me lots of funny quotes about being cynical, but funny is not always very helpful. These three quotes struck me as powerful:
“A cynic can chill and dishearten with a single word” Ralph Waldo Emerson
“The opposite of creativity is cynicism” Esa Saarinen
“In the end we shall have had enough of cynicism and skepticism and humbug and we shall want to live more musically” Vincent van Gogh
I dont want to chill and dishearten. I want to live with more creativity. I want to live more musically.Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )